A simple Solomon Islander who blogs with the hope of improving his writing skills.

NEW!

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

So I am Color Blind

I knew that I was color blind when I was in form 7, that’s 3 years ago, but that wasn’t a diagnosis from a med professional. I claimed it when we were doing a topic on genetics which states that among other genetically inherited disorders, color blindness is one of them. I hid my disorder for the fear of being ridiculed. When the teacher asked who could see the Ishihara-extracted chart on the text book, I didn’t talk although I hardly see anything even close to what my normal class mates could see as number 36 from a differential contrast of colors on the chart.

The difficulty in contrasting the differences in some colors has then continued to be realized with its daily effect on my life with funny examples of me banging into objects on some occassions, but it has worsen when I came to college for I have picked up another vision problem along the way, that is myopia generally referred to as near-sightedness.

I had a hard time picking up written notes on the board during lectures especially when they are written with colored markers. But I hardly gave into the idea of sitting in the front especially when Dr. Arora, our anatomist, is manning the class. I always thought that I would really get it from him because he loves asking questions and I don’t always read ahead of his classes.

Physiology is my favorite and I like Miss Vaishali’s choice of teaching tech. She’s simple and is undoubtedly what all students want their lecturers to be. My only problem with her is sometimes she tend to use colored markers which I have to get to the front row before I could see. But that isn’t a worry because the front seat isn’t that scary as the experience that one would get during Dr. Arora’s classes.

Micro-labs. Oh my gosh, I just can’t figure out the difference between pink and purple to tell which is a Gram positive stain and which is a Gram negative one but thank God I can pick my way thru the growth plates.

Our current problem on eye has paved a way for me to have a professional med checkup which I’ve come to know that I have a visual acuity problem plus a severe, according to the doc, color blindness.

I asked him whether I can able to drive which he said yes but he told me that some specialties within the medical field is not allowed for the color blind, one of which is surgery.

I always have a craving for orthopedics and would certainly love to study more of it if chance is there, but I can see a hindrance, besides my usual unorganised study habits, in my way now.

But what's the use of trying to earn what is not supposed to be yours? Perhaps my world is supposed to be enjoyed with the level of beauty that my color-deprived eyes can appreciate. I always love to see the positive side of things and believe that being color blind makes the reason of living more interesting because you're different in the way you view things-a thing which the normal won't get to see in their life time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Pages