A simple Solomon Islander who blogs with the hope of improving his writing skills.

NEW!

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Friday, September 10, 2010

When Culture Becomes a Barrier: Selu Maezama

Selu Maezama
Photo:Solomon Times.
By Harold Maesulia. Follow me on twitter.

Everyone has a downside in life.But it is advisable not to dwell on your weaker side of life when you want to make that leap in life. The feeling you'll get if you do so is discouragement. That brought to my mind one question, should I point someone in the eye to tell him his wrongs? I guess no because I might be worse in some aspects compared to him.

I always believe that. But there is one exception. When the old talk some sense into me for doing wrong, I prefer to listen than giggle. I believe that the old knows too well the experiences on this journey and they should be well armed to focus on what we should expect in this life.

My perception of Solomon Islands scholarship officers was never given this insight until yesterday when the director of the National Training Unit (NTU) Selu Maezama, gave an eye opening counsel on his visit to the Solomon students at the Fiji School of Medicine.

The soft speaking man from Western Province has never shown such a class in any of his meetings I’ve attended and while I listened attentively during his explanation of SIG’s role in the local scholarships, his take of what the role of students in the cycle was the portion that took me by storm.

Personally it was a hit in the heart and I would say that it was one of the inspirational thoughts I’ve ever received since coming here.

It was short, simple but straight to the mark. Blended with his English style of pidgin, he spoke of cultural changes.

From what I perceived of his talk, culture to him means the way you do things on a daily basis. And it makes you the person you're and people around you understands you by it because that's your way of life. He opened the door for us to realize that sometimes people change their in-built morals when they're exposed to a new environment, bringing along new found cultures which always doesn't cling in well with the way life is supposed to flow for them. I arrived at the point with him when he got there and I realized that his lesson was, sometimes the little attitudes that we call life to us are the very things that will stand in our way from attaining what we're supposed to in life. Ranging from little concern for time management to over socializing, he added with jokes that student life can sometimes ends in turmoil if one fails to realize the need to prioritize wants from needs. 

Life at University especially here in Fiji could almost not equal what is in your mind if you’ve never been here or never told an honest story of life in a city like Suva.

While it is nonsense to dwell on what is honestly everyone’s personal issue, the blindness that comes with these endeavours is what I’d like to acknowledge Mr.Selu for. He somehow opened my eyes to see somewhat clearer.

When I personally take the merry ride, enjoying the view and all the splendour that surrounds me, Selu’s words came just in time to tell me of my humble calling and that is to stand up and take stock of the long gone song sung to me by someone I forgot. When he tried to elaborate on his point, the song came fresh to my mind that every move I make here is supposed to be a leap to take me closer to the point of standing in the place of someone who is holding the post of my dreams, but who is now old and needed a lift.

I was thinking at the end of the short session, what is there within me that can possibly become a block in barring me from aspiring any further? And if you're reading this, what is yours? What could be more rewarding like a look into our own lives as individuals? Sometimes what you fail to spot in your life can be clearly picked out by a neighbour and that's why I was grateful for Selu's advice. But change, why is it necessary? Perhaps the change we are going to make now is going to be a life safer for someone in the future. So don't give into the second thought when there is a must for you to make that much needed change in your life.

2 comments:

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Pages